Giselle however didn't get in until late that night, and I took the opportunity to sneak out of work early and meet up with Oli for dinner and drinks in CPH (as the cool kids call it).
Danish, as with Norwegian is very similar to Swedish. One such difference is that they use a ø instead of a ö. I need a sign like this in my room (øl = öl = beer)
Oli and I at a bar. We went somewhere prior that was a restaurant/bar/laundramat (a la 'sit and spin' in Seattle). There was a funny exchange between Oli and the waitress when I sat down when he spoke a little Danish to her, then then morphed into English and then they must have recognized that they were both Icelandic and then switched to that.
At any rate, it was nice to catch up with Oli, talk about back home and everything else. I also got a chance to see Charlotte when they drove me to the train station where I met with Giselle.
Giselle and I then went out, questing after the CPH night life ... and found only Irish bars. It was bizarre, and there wasn't really the nightlife I had expected, maybe we just weren't in the right places. Regardless, here's a little proof that they get into the Halloween spirit as well.
Funny observation. At the first Irish bar we went to there was a band playing Irish music, and then they wrapped up. The crowd then started singing themselves, and what'd they choose? That same West Virginia song ("Take me home, country road, to the place, I belong. West Virginia ... blah blah") that Evan and I heard constantly being sung at Oktoberfest. And sure enough, the band comes back on and plays it. How totally weird. I've made it my new goal to see it performed in every country in Europe. I suppose I should work on Swedish next. At any rate, here's Giselle and me at yet another Irish bar.
The next morning we woke to have a nice breakfast at the hotel, and then head out into town to be tourists. This was my first time really being out in Copenhagen, so it was a great opportunity to see the city. This is from the top of some tower that you can cheaply walk to the top of.
Here's the inside of a church we ran across as we were walking around.
An example of how Denmark is meeting its goals of the Kyoto protocol.
The Little Mermaid statue (H.C. Andersson was Danish) was obviously placed in the most scenic part of Copenhagen.
Giselle and I saw this and both thought of Byron.
After the day out in Copenhagen we took the train to Malmö left Giselle's luggage at the train station, and went out for drinks in Lilla Torg, which is probably the most scenic part of the city. Even though it was quite chilly they had all sorts of outdoor heaters and so we sat outside and had drinks before we built up the appetite to grab a steak (me anyways) dinner.
After that we went back to Lund with plans to go out and see some of the local pubs but instead we just sat around, drank a lot of whiskey that Giselle picked up at the duty free, and then went for a midnight walk, watched some futurama and then passed out, only to wake up hungover!
The next morning we went out and walked around town, had coffee, and sat and in general felt ill.
All hangovers aside, it was a great weekend. It was good to see Giselle and I'm looking forward to spending my Christmas with her in Germany.
No comments:
Post a Comment