Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The 100th Post Spectacular

Welcome to the 100th Post Spectacular!

This blog has come a long way over the past 1+ year. We started with the modest readership of my girlfriend, which then exploded in epic proportions to include my mother and occasionally a sibling or two. Then Courtney stopped for a while, then my mother grew bored, and then I made some posts when Kathleen and Jason were here and then I got bored.

As you can see, it has been quite a storied history. Before I begin the 100th Post Spectacular! ™ I’d like introduce you to some quotes from friends and critics:

“A shameless example of narcissism.”
- Time

“All blogs are forms of self-exhibitionism.”
- Felix

“Maybe if he’d written 70 less posts he would have had his thesis finished months earlier.”
- All of your thoughts.

Milestones in television tend to be marked in very distinct ways. The final Seinfeld episode was universally lauded as a big disappointment. The Simpsons and other shows often resort to clip shows. The newest Star Wars trilogy saw rare agreement between the forces of jockdom and nerddom alike, that all found that the three newest movies were barely watchable. In other words, milestones are almost universally a huge disappointment. This post will be no different.

The traditional premise for a clip show always begins with familiar characters in their element discussing past events or antics. This usually takes the form of them perhaps sitting around a table, or maybe sitting on a sofa. Occasionally, to buck the tradition the show creators will put characters in wacky never before seen situations as some flimsy pretense to simply regurgitate their old jokes completely out of context. I will elect for a combination of both.

Another common scenario in the landmark episode is overuse of celebrity guests. This also will be incorporated.

Hmm, maybe we need more star power. Ahh, there we go.

Now, let's begin:

I have to say, once I woke up in this bizarre place known as Sweden/Sverige … all I knew of the country hinged on a few flimsy stereotypes.

…and, I gotta say after all this time … it’s pretty spot on.

But when talking to Swedes, they had stereotypes of their own. I think the following more or less sums it up:

Of course, being an America hating liberal from pink-commie Seattle, I tried to prove to them that we weren’t all Bushies. And just after I started to set everyone straight that America wasn’t exclusively a bunch of redneck, fast-food eating, shitty beer drinking gun-loving wackos - Sarah Palin had to come along. Although, I guess as the following photo suggests, maybe she would get along with these 21st century Vikings.

[Note: I did not photoshop this. I found this on a google image search. If this isn’t legit, I can’t take credit for it.]

Little known fact, Sarah Palin is personally responsible for taking the life of approximately half of the moose slaughtered and consumed in Sweden.


She claimed she was just in love with the city … but I know there was a particular object of her affection.

If I wasn’t so sure her “Happy Tower” was gay I’d be more concerned …

Maybe Blake will run for mayor, or maybe Courtney will add to her growing number of mob hits.

3 comments:

dingobear said...

Best clip show EVER.

Happy 100!

Unknown said...

Blake – that was a very creative post. Any post that makes fun of Tom Cruise is bound to be a winner. I also enjoyed the stereotype posters.

I will however, repeat my thoughts: Never, ever, apologize for being an American or for America. .” If the USA has made a mistake or two, I think we are entitled to a little slack. They should have a special day in Europe called “Thank God for the U.S.A. Day.” Without America’s military protection, Sweden would be occupied by Russia within two years; two days if the Russian were not so incompetent. That’s why countries like Poland always side with the USA. Those people know what it is like to lose their freedom. I was struck by something that my tour guide said in Berlin a few years ago. Berlin school children do not believe that the Wall existed and that you could not freely travel around the City. To quote Colonel Jessup from the movie “A Few Good Men.” ”I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to someone who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would prefer that you just said thank you and went on your way."

bdoepker said...

Contrary to popular belief: liberals (at least this one) do love their country.

I don't know about Europe having a "Thank God for the U.S.A. Day" because without the French, we wouldn't have even won our independence. And I think the liklihood of us reciprocating with a "Thank God for the French Day" is pretty slim.

... and now for something completely different.