Saturday, January 3, 2009

12: Christmas Time in Stockholm

One slow day I went out for some culture and hit the Stockholm Architecture Museum as well as the Modern Art Museum. Afterwards I was greeted with a prematurely setting sun and a beautiful city at my disposal.
An evening cruise by Gamla Stan.
After wandering solo, Courtney and I met up to wander around. Here's a nifty statue (I probably should know the name ... Update: Courtney informs me that statue is called Kristall and she threw some nifty stats in the comments section) near the central station.
A quaint Christmas market in Gamla Stan, a perfect place to pick up some snacks and a mug of glögg.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

The tower (that looks cool at night but is pretty ugly in the light of day) is called Kristall (like the drink). I found the following information about it on Wiki: A contest for the central monument in 1962 was won by Edvin Öhrström, the 37 metres tall glass obelisk of whom was named Kristall - vertikal accent i glas och stål ("Crystal - vertical accent in glass and steel"). The sculpture, finally completed in 1974 and since haunted by technical problems, never was able to deliver the intended visual output and - quoting Hall - "thus adds itself to the many projects within the [reconstruction of central Stockholm] that didn't endure confrontation with reality."

dingobear said...

Gorgeous night pix.