As you all know, every city worth anything has a nickname. Seattle has “The Emerald City”, Chicago has “The Windy City”, New York has “The Big Apple” and Spokane has flattering nicknames such as: Spokompton, Spokansas, Spoklahoma and Spokanistan just to name a few. So what’s Stockholm’s nickname? “The Venice of the North”.
LAME!
1st: how lame is it to have your nickname suggest that you are a no better than a northern version of another city.
2nd: Two other cities apparently have the same nickname, St. Petersburg and Amsterdam.
(In case you were wondering, Venice’s motto is “The Queen of the Adriatic”, also lame but I'll leave that up to the Venetian blogs to take care of)
So with that said, I’d like to propose a few alternative nicknames and let the loyal reader(s) vote on which they think is most appropriate. Note, if you can’t decide feel free to vote for more than one. So, in no particular order:
Stockholm: Take a number, bitch!
The Swede's invented the take a number system, and they sure like to flaunt it. When I was dealing with the full brunt of Swedish bureaucracy I was bouncing between government offices and banks and all sorts of fun places and in the end I probably took 5 numbered tickets within 2 hours. What better way to celebrate Sweden's contribution to the world than by putting this front and center?Stockholm: Remember ABBA?
Thanks to Mamma Mia ABBA is once again in people's consciousness. Why not take advantage of their new found popularity? A photo like that will get you on travelocity booking tickets in no time!THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE STOCK-HOME
What does Wizard of Oz have to do with Stockholm? Nothing. What does Absolut Vodka have to do with Stockholm? Everything.Hefe-a yuoo treeed oooor meetbells?
A moose and the Swedish Chef. Need I say more?Stockholm: Come for the weather. Stay for the cuisine.
People's first association with Sweden is usually the beautiful winter evenings (i.e. 2 pm) and delicious Scandinavian food. "Please! Send a little more of that fermented herring and red beet salad my way!"Stockholm: We have a syndrome named after us!
Ah yes Stockholm Syndrome. The namesake of this very blog. This motto to me says "Hey, if you don't like us, we'll just abuse you some more, not let you leave and eventually ... you'll come around."Like I said, feel free to vote for one or more ... audience participation makes everything better! And as always, other suggestions are also welcome.
5 comments:
My favorite is definitely 'Take a number Bitch". It resonates the most with me. I would like propose an alternative though.
Stockholm: No longer just blonde's, one redhead and counting.
In an effort to promote sweden's diversity, this campaign could really boost their international image.
In the name of democracy, I've already voted three times.
Yes, indeed Stockholm has been spiced up with a little ginger. I saw another couple of redheads the other day. We reproduce through fission. Before long, the city will be crawling with us.
And as for repeatedly voting. The beauty of democracy is that whomever cheats the most wins. This obviously implies that they just wanted it more.
Although I am surprised at how "Take a Number" is really running away with this. The pundits must be stunned.
four times
I keep looking for "Stockholm: Helsinki of the Slightly Southwest", but can't find it. SIGH. I guess I'll vote for one of the other ones.
Post a Comment