- 748 days after I first moved to Lund, Sweden.
- 454 days from the day I moved from Lund
- The day I finally returned to Lund.
I had been plotting my return for a while but with the wealth of visitable places in Europe, it just never quite happened. However, it had been on my mind, and I had been planning for some time to come back. And then Evan moved back. This of course caused me to pause, but I decided to still return anyways.
And so, herein lies my tale:
10/30:
So we all know what sucks about Sweden. Free health care. Gay marriage. An oppressingly high percentage of statuesque blonds. But let me tell you something that is awesome ... you get the 31st of October off! Yep, you get Halloween off, or as they know it Alla Helgons Dag. Of course this day off is not because of candy, witches, gouls, etc ... it's because of religion. And naturally that means that no Swede's know why, but hell, you get a day off. So cheers!
Since Alla Helgons Dag was on a Saturday, my company was kind enough to give us Friday as a paid vacation day (in addition to my 5 weeks of vacation, plus the days of Christmas to New Years, and all the other superfluous holidays). This proved to be the perfect weekend to do an in country road trip. I contacted Evan early in the week and he gave us the green light to come down and goof off for the weekend.
We looked at various transportation options, but ultimately the cheapest option was to rent a car. Henning (UCLA grad ... but don't hold it against him) came along to keep me company and to explore a bit more of this crazy country we call home.
So around 1ish on Friday, Henning and I hopped in our rented VW Golf (awesome car) and hit the "interstate". Come to find out ... driving from Stockholm to Lund is as boring as can be. I guess I'm spoiled with the drive from Seattle to Spokane where at least we get a beautiful city skyline, the Cascade Mountains, the Columbia Gorge, and the (slightly too) vast Central Washington dessert/plains. It makes me realize just how damn lucky I am to come from the state I come from ... but I digress.
After about a 7 hour drive we made it down to Lund. The crazy thing is that Evan lives in the same building that I lived as a student (before Courtney moved). So not only was I in a town I spent a year in, I was walking through the same building (the door code still is the same as it was when I lived there too).
After finding an overnight home for the HUG-Bug (license plate HUG-???) we joined Evan and a bunch of his classmates for some drinks at their apartment. The plan was to hit a costume party at Sparta, a residence hall that Evan lived at when he was here for the first time. I was feeling lazy so I just tossed on a t-shirt that Courtney gave me that says "Jag är en vampyr" (I am a vampire). You'll notice the blood on the shirt down below. I hopped on the back of Evan's bike and we rode there like someone on a high school date.
The party was funish. It was a typical Lund corridor party, in which it was super crowded and I didn't know anybody. But through it all, Evan and I both were able to agree that the following guy, was a douche-bag.
The evening ended without incident (which is Blake-speak for "I threw up outside of a residence hall").
10/31:
The next morning we got a somewhat late start. We headed over to meet up with some folks at Mormors Bageriet (Grandmothers Bakery). We recharged with breakfast sandwiches, muffins and coffee. At that point Evan and I took Henning on a brief tour of central Lund. The weather was very cooperative, which was spectacular. Here are some photos over by the Domkyrka:
The next day, right before the the giant was about to place the final stone, St. Laurence said: "Hey! Finn! Is your wife as ugly as she sounds!?!" At this, Finn, his wife, and his child were so enraged that all three grabbed columns in the churches crypt. However, as we all know, God is the giant's natural enemy, and he shrunk them down and turned them to stone, where they sit in the crypts to this day. Below you can see the oft photographed celebrity, Finn, the inventor of the full service engineering firm: Architect, engineer, contractor.
Since Henning and I are both geeks for buildings our first stop was the Turning Torso. Santiago Calatrava is my hero. I should consider it a career goal to be involved in one of his projects:
At first the plan was to leave for our Halloween party at 7 that night but I realized after 15 minutes that if I was going to operate on a time crunch I would:
a) be rude
and
b) not have fun
So I said fuck it, and told Evan to plan to go ahead of us. I was so glad I did it because we hung out, didn't talk about anything monumental, but it was a really great (though not particularly photogenic) time.
So after a bit, Henning and I headed back to Evans where we enjoyed a little wine, put on our incredibly elaborate costumes, and waited to meet up with Evan.
"Hej kids. Wanna see a dead body?"
Henning and I eventually headed out to the party, and made it there around the same time as Evan. Shortly thereafter my mentor leaders Pernilla and Danlin arrived! At completely my own fault, I totally spaced on letting Pernilla know I was coming down there until I was on the drive down there (she concurrently sent me a message to my facebook status calling me out on my mistake).Henning was rocking a Batman mask I bought for him that cost me a whopping 25 :- (3.50 or so). Unfortunately for him, the ears of the mask, coupled with his freakish height and low ceilings made it impossible to wear said mask. Here he is undoubtedly quoting Mr. Batman: "FEAR ME!"
Question though, who's more intimidating? Henning or the guy right in front of him?
Dancing like there's no tomorrow! So basically a normal day for me.
Notice the guy standing behind me. He was basically standing in that corner, by himself, making white man dance moves that would even make me say "Pshhh, I can dance better than that." All the while he had his shirt over his shoulder, and he was making creepy eyes at every girl around him.Here he is after escaping his corner!
He's a lumberjack and he's ok.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.
He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps.
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on womens clothing.
And hangs around in bars.
The next morning, Henning, Evan and I rolled over to Espresso House for our morning breakfast. After some last minute pleasantries we bid our farewells and headed back. The drive down was about as exciting as the drive up, but it was a really great weekend, and I'm glad I finally made it down again.
No comments:
Post a Comment