Entrance costs 25 Egyptian pounds (about $5). My first reaction was that it had the feel of a warehouse. Things were poorly marked, sometimes in Arabic, sometimes in French, sometimes in English, not all the time in all three. There seemed to be little chronology, and just in general I wouldn’t recommend it. One thing that was cool was that there was a room of mummies (that cost another 50 pounds), but other than that it was pretty meh. Apparantly the Tut exhibit is cool, but it must have been on loan somewhere. Perhaps if I had a good tour guide it would be better. There were lots of big groups, but they were all Spanish or French speaking.
The following is a statue of Amenhotep, son of Hapu. He apparantly was deified and "attributed with healing powers". Apparantly the Cairo museum is where Stan Lee gets his comic book character ideas.

I thought a museum that had it's ancient relics just scattered hither thither wouldn't care if I snapped a photo or two, but evidently not and I was asked to put my camera away.
Once I finally felt too sick to go on I hailed an over priced cab (the difference between the price they tell me and the price they tell Tamer is like 100%) and headed back home. On the way I saw a KFC, and all of a sudden all I could think of was KFC. I should have had the cabbie stop but like a fool I kept my mouth shut.
When I arrived I realized that there was no way I was going to get the thought of delicious crispy greasy chicken (you’re getting a craving now aren’t you?) out of my head, so I went out on a walk in the neighborhood looking for it. It was my Everest, but after walking for the better part of half an hour I finally settled on a small hole in the wall place and bought a very mediocre seafood sandwich.
As it turns out, my failure just led to greater desire and Bahra, Tamer and I ordered KFC (everything delivers in Cairo; fast food, restaurants, liquor store, etc.) that evening. Quick aside though, they don’t have mashed potatoes, just French fries. But I think that’s the same in Canada. Regardless, it was finger-lickin', artery-cloggin' goodness.
That evening, Victor picked Tamer and myself up and we went for a very romantic ride on the Nile on a boat called a falluca.
These boats normally cruise up and down the river, and can probably fit up to 20 people, but there was no wind, so we mostly just floated around a little bit. Tamer and I gossiped about what the couple in the boat next to us might be doing,
and Victor passed out.
Tamer gazing into the great beyond:
Me peeing into the great beyond:
That's of course not serious, but I'm sure if I did it'd probably make the Nile cleaner.
It was very relaxing, and as Tamer pointed out it was the second thing (horse back riding by the pyramids being the other) that would have been much more appropriate to do with a date. Afterwards, Tamer and I took a cab home and that was that.
No comments:
Post a Comment