Sunday, July 26, 2009

07/14: Preikestolen, Norway

From Edinburgh we caught a 6 am flight to Haugesund, Norway (on 3 hours of sleep), then took a 2 hour bus trip to the town of Stavanger where we picked up our rental car. From there we drove to Lysefjord to go on a hike Preikestolen (aka Pulpit Rock).
Here's the fjord as we took a ferry across towards the hike.

A small lake on the way. We had amazing weather every step of the way too:
After 2 hours or so we reached the end. That's me with my hand up:
Watch your step ...
The view of the fjord:
Courtney with her Rocky moment.
I look calm, but it was really freaky to hang your feet over the edge.
That's my "Oh Shit" face.
After catching some spectacular weather we saw some clouds rolling in so we decided to head on home. We then had to drive the length of the fjord to get to our "bed and breakfast". The drive was beautiful, and we met some friends on the way.
The drive ended with a 7 km winding stretch down to our campsite at the base of the fjord. Here's a photo of the road and the camp site courtesy of google image search.


Next Post: Kjeragbolten (another hike)

4 comments:

dingobear said...

Great photos of Preikestolen and surrounds. How windy was it at the top?

bdoepker said...

You know, I never thought about it. I think it was just a slight breeze. I think had it been gusty or really strong I wouldn't have ventured so close to the edge.

Anonymous said...

Felix: Preikestolen is rather sheltered so it's not that windy at all there.. Too low and too far in in Lysefjorden to be taken by the storms at the coast.

Great pics, Blake!

H :)

dingobear said...

Blake ... well, wind or no wind, I'm not sure if I'd have it in me to get as close to the edge as you did in those pictures. That's some impressive topography.

Hilde ... hi!