Sunday, December 2, 2007

11/03: Halloween Party

Ok, first post in a while, and there's a lot to cover. Those who know me know I rarely get into Halloween. There certainly are many things I miss from home, Halloween isn't one of em. I guess the holiday isn't a particularly big deal here but it's starting to be celebrated more.

Björn invited me to go to a party that his friend's Johan and Lisa's place. Seeing it as a good opportunity to practice some Swedish I couldn't say no. So I picked up a 20 kronor (about $3) viking helmet and I was set!

The following is a picture of a guy's jacket in the mall where I bought my costume. Looks like Illinois grads are everywhere.



So the whole party was actually a blast. It was the Saturday after Halloween and people took it to varying degrees of seriousness. But the hosts did a good job. For example, they had a cd with Halloween music, which was even more awesome because it was only 15 minutes long so they had to keep replaying it. Then shortly after most of the guests arrived they gave us random stickers with various Halloween witches, ghosts, etc (all in Swedish). This split us into random groups (I was in the Vampyre group). We then had to walk into this hallway in the basement in which all the lights were out. Our only lighting was a weak lantern.



At the end of the hallway was a list of trivia questions related to horror movies, Halloween etc. On the way back some random guy (I believe it was Johan) jumped on my back. Anyways, it was pretty darn elaborate I thought for an apartment building, especially when I guess Halloween was first celebrated in Sweden in 2000 or something. The following two photos were of the winner of the best costume ... I would hardly call this a winner.



Björn and Ulrika:


Ulrika with my costume:


Ulrika with the hosts:


Everyone singing to a song I didn't know:

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Were they singing Bryan Adams "Summer of 69"?

Marc in the City said...

Are there cheap viking hats for sale all over the place there?

bdoepker said...

I wouldn't say that there is ... but I don't spend a whole lot of time in the touristy shops so perhaps I'm either shopping in the wrong stores or not shopping at all (probably the latter).

Number Six said...

I don't actually have a comment, I was just bored and reading your blog.