Monday, December 31, 2007

12/23: Prague

So Giselle and I got in to find our hotel, grab a nice meal out, and then go out for drinks at a random pub. We kept thinking about leaving, but eh, the drinks were affordable, we had a place to sit, and so what else could you need? No photos from that night however since my battery was running on empty.

The next morning we woke up and went out to see the city. Right when we walked out of our hotel we saw this on the sidewalk:


Yes, they're wacking fish heads off and no, we're not in Western Europe anymore ...
I thought this was interesting.


Cute side streets and alley ways:


Anyways, Giselle and I wandered through the Christmas market drinking gluhvein (same thing as Glögg, more or less) to keep ourselves warm in the freezing temperatures. On our way to the old town we came across a very weird nativity scene. I mean, what's going on with baby Jesus? He's got one arm longer than the other, plus he's already sporting a mohawk. Although if anybody could come out of the womb with a full-on mohawk I guess it'd be him.


A cool church in the center ... although I don't know why we didn't make any effort to see the inside of it. Must have been the gluhvein






On the way to Prague Castle we got a great view of the city ... or it would have been if it hadn't been so gray.


Inside the castle walls there was a big cathedral with some really impressive stained glass windows.











And that's it. Prague was really a beautiful city, but I hadn't done any research on it before we went, I wasn't really as familiar with its history, and so it made it difficult to really enjoy the city. Perhaps if I were to go back when it wasn't so cold I would find it more enjoyable. Eh, time will tell.

No comments: