Wednesday, February 6, 2008

01/03: Göteborg

On the 2nd, after spending the New Year in Lund, we headed out on a 3 city, 2 country adventure. We took the train from Lund to our first stop, the lovely Göteborg, which although I've been assured it's a great summer time destination, in January it has as much appeal as exploratory dental surgery. We got in late, had a great meal at an Italian restaurant, and got some much deserved rest on a bed that was actually made for two people. The next day we wandered around the city, went to various museums, saw Göteborg's most beautiful church, which was far from impressive, and wandered into somewhere around 5 different H+M's.

The day started by seeing the "sights" in Göteborg. The climax of letdownness was their fabulously bland cathedral that our guide book highly recommeded we saw. Upon leaving, we check our watches, looked back at the guide book, and upon realizing how much free time we had Courtney exclaimed "I really thought that was going to take more time." Aside from this, the town was so pleasant. Even the trams were comfortable and welcoming.


We went to a museum that had a neat exhibit on vikings. This is the remains of a ship that they found submerged under water.


But as cool as that exhibit was, it didn't compare to what we found upstairs!


And there's more! Best ... museum ... ever!


Although the first museum with empty room after empty room set the bar pretty high, we decided to check out another museum. This one had a random assortment of exhibits. The first we walked through was what you see below, which was on various tribes of people in South America. The other exhibit was about human trafficking which I think led Courtney to be concerned that I was going to sell her into slavery. Needless to say, I didn't.


As you can see, it was a colorful exhibit, but the best part was that it had hammocks!


After that we headed to the bus station and caught a bus headed to the airport to catch our flight to Barcelona. Good times. If I bought one vacation house, it would be in Tillamook Oregon. If I bought two, the second would be in Göteborg, Sweden.

No comments: