Wednesday, February 6, 2008

01/10: Stockholm Day 2

Our second full day in Stockholm, we woke up to another beautiful day.




We then went out to yet another over priced coffee shop. This shop keep, who when I asked for coffee understood me, but responded in Spanish. I don't know if I've picked up some really weird accent down here in the south, or if all the coffee shops are just used to dealing with tourists, but regardless it was weird to go from Spain where we didn't speak any Spanish, to come up to Stockholm and respond with "gracias" Or, maybe he saw a tall pale redheaded guy and assumed we were Spaniards. Weird.


Here's is Sweden's Riksdag (parliament).


Here's me in front of a statue of one of Sweden's most feared military leaders. The inscription had one of his most famous quotes: "Hey guys, stop fighting. Would you just cool it. Why isn't anybody listening to me? Ok, I'm gonna be standing over there, when you guys grow up you'll know where to find me."


We then went walking around the shopping streets, yet again wandering in numerous H&M's. While walking, we found this gem:


Tiger's fans ... who knew.

Here's a weird statue that apparently freaked me out.


A church ... you're about to see a lot of em, so sit back and get set for the thrill ride of your life!


The Illuminati is everywhere ...


Courtney spotted this first (although this is my photo), but something about the glass reflected the light in a really cool way. Perhaps not cool enough to warrant posting it, but eh ... whatcha gonna do?


After our tour through the shopping district we headed to Stockholm's city hall, a big old building. This was one of several things that our guide book said had free tours that in the end cost money. We elected to just walk around ourselves and had a good time freezing our asses off.


Courtney in the courtyard:


Now, for another game of "Where's Blake". Bonus points if you can find his shoe and his cane.


Speaking of ... did anybody watch that Where's Waldo cartoon show. How they took a book of no words and only photos and turned it into a cartoon with plot and protagonists I have no idea. The bottom line is that it was awesome.

So after Courtney started taking Swedish she started asking me about these painted wooden horses and how her teacher wouldn't shut up about them. I was confused because I had never ever noticed them and just assumed that her teacher had some Enumclaw sized painted horse crush. But when Courtney arrived she did indeed point out quite a few places that sold these pointless things. They seem to be one of those stupid things I'd bring back to all of my friends if a) I thought you all had bad enough taste and b) if I loved you all enough to spend money on said bad tastes. But I digress, here's a picture of Courtney with a big painted horse. Wooo!!


Yeah, it was cold ...


I think the flag behind me is Stockholm's city flag. The woman is the princess that George/Göran saved from the dragon (from the previous post). The plaque by the statue suggested that the woman represented Stockholm and the dragon represented Denmark.


You know it's cold if the statues have shrinkage.


Oh darn, if the sign wasn't there I totally would have hopped in.










For the record, I think I look more genuinely scared of the snakes than either Courtney, or the statue.

Kind of like the Jimi Hendrix statue, only more Swedish.


This was, from the exterior, probably my favorite church in Stockholm. Unfortunately it was closed.


I'm excited to see the city in the summer with good and warm weather, although I bet that in July there's no way you could find a place in the city that isn't crawling with tourists.


This is inside the state church where the royalty has been coronated since it was built.


For kids back in the days, sitting up close to this statue was like the equivalent of playing Gameboy during church services. i.e. Awesome.


The smallest alley way in Stockholm, at approximately 1 meter (or in God's units, 1 yard) in width.


Courtney showing off her wing span.


I wish I could take credit for noticing how this building looks like a happy face, and I wish I could take credit for the photo as well ... but it's all Courtney's. :)


Courtney coined the term "Happy Tower". Just looking at it makes you happy doesn't it?

No comments: