Wednesday, February 6, 2008

01/07: Barcelona - Sagrada Familia

For our final full day, we awoke well ahead of our hosts, and spent the morning walking on the beach with a character who has as of yet gone unmentioned. This is Blackie:


Bahra and Tamer spend a fair amount of time in Barcelona, but both permanently reside in Cairo. There, Bahra has a dog adoption center, and so they both are dog and animal lovers. Blackie's story is that his owner recently passed away, and Bahra found the poor lost soul wandering on the beach and gave him a home. In the end, the family of Blackie's owner never came back, and I can only assume that Blackie is now acclimating to his life in Egypt (perhaps Tamer can confirm).

Here's Courtney doing either the "I'm playing with a dog" Dance or the "I'm walking along a sunny beach instead of being cold in rainy Seattle or cold Lund" Dance.




After our morning walk, we decided there was no way we could miss seeing the interior of Sagrada Familia. So we headed out, again just the two of us (cue Will Smith).


Who says I can't rock out to System of a Down while appreciating architecture?


Kathleen correctly identified the coffee cup as a Starbucks cup ... ok fine, we're tourists! But we don't have Starbucks in Sweden!

Gaudi's work is very much inspired by nature. I believe that the interior was inspired by the redwoods. The light peeks through the roof as though through light through a tree canopy.


Marc put it well when he made a comment on one photo I posted on facebook:
"I still can't believe how breathtaking this place was in person. It seriously looks like it shouldn't exist. I'm not a huge Gaudi fan, just not my style, but the Sagrada Familia is just amazing. It's like every single inch of the place has a quirky detail."


Looking up at the canopy above us ... enormous.




So underneath the temple is a museum about its construction and history. The following photo is a bunch of sand bags hanging on strings. They represent some of his thought process in designing the curves and shape of the temple. Obviously, the photo is turned upside town illustrate the point.


Courtney likes:


Afterwards we headed back to meet up with Tamer and Bahra. Here's a cool alleyway in the Gothic district. I use the term alleyway somewhat loosely as this street is only slightly more narrow than most of the streets in this district.


We stopped at a store, picked up some wine and a few other items, then headed back to their flat where Bahra made us a delicious meal. For Tamer, the evening ended with some post meal snuggling.


The next morning we awoke bright and early and caught a bus to the center. From there we took another bus back to the airport in Girona (with some drama trying to buy tickets no thanks to crummy signs and rude employees) in time for our flight to Stockholm.

Having got to the airport, we thought the shitty signage was over with, but when we got to the airport, and couldn't find our flight to Stockholm.

Let me repeat that ... Stockholm.

This was the closest we could find:


We hopped on a plane to Estocolmo not knowing what we would find ...
Stay tuned loyal readers, there's more to come.

No comments: